“Tap into the power of the breath to balance your male and female sides of the brain.”
Are you having trouble focusing on a project you would like to accomplish? Are you feeling out of balance? Alternate Nostril Breathing can balance your brain hemispheres, the male and female sides of your brain. It is a quick and calming way to bring you back to your center.
Our left nostril carries the female energy, represents the moon so is more receptive and calm when activated. The right nostril carries the male energy, the sun energy which means action and is good to do when you want a boost during your day.
There are many benefits with alternate nostril breathing:
- Supports your lungs and respiratory functions
- Clears the energetic channels restoring balance in the left and right hemispheres of the brain
- Improves our ability to focus the mind
- Removes toxins
- Decreases stress
- Regenerates the nervous system
Practicing alternate nostril breath is safe for most people. Talk to your doctor before starting the practice if you have a medical condition such as asthma, COPD, or any other lung or heart concern.
How to do:
- Sit in easy pose, with your spine straight; block your right nostril with your right thumb.
- Place your left hand on your left knee.
- Lift your right hand up toward your nose.
- Exhale completely and then use your right thumb to close your right nostril.
- Inhale through your left nostril and then close the left nostril with your pinky finger.
- Open the right nostril and exhale through this side.
- Inhale through the right nostril and then close this nostril.
- Open the left nostril and exhale through the left side.
- Start a new cycle and continue up to 5 minutes (for adults).
- Always complete the practice by finishing with an exhale on the left side.
- Inhale and exhale deeply through both nostrils to complete the breath.
For your children you can have them start with nostril breathing on one side for 1-2 minutes only before bedtime. For example, do breathing through the left nostril to promote sleep and a relaxed state of mind. Block your right nostril, breath in and out from your left nostril.
To promote energy, creativity and analytical mind block your left nostril; breath in and out from your right nostril.